A person’s diet can worsen or cause their acne outbreaks. Everyone knows that certain nutrients are essential in helping specific body parts work better. The heart does better when one eats foods rich in omega–3 fatty acids. Health bones require vitamin D and calcium. In the same way, there are certain foods that people should eat for healthy skin. At The Surgeon’s Scrubroom, we aim to help you keep your skin looking healthy and beautiful by giving you a list of foods and drinks that are worsening your acne.
Acne is a common skin condition that happens when the hair follicles are blocked or plugged with dead skin cells and oil. It usually appears on the face, neck, chest, shoulders, and back. Although there are treatments for the condition, the condition can be unrelenting. The bumps and pimples heal slowly, and when they begin to go away, others seem to start popping back up. Acne causes emotional distress, especially with teenagers with severe conditions. The earlier one begins treatment, the lower the risk of emotional and physical scarring.
Top Foods and Drinks that can Cause or Worsen Acne
• Diet Soda: This drink is extremely inflammatory to the body. It contains aspartame that can worsen acne breakouts. In addition, it lowers the pH levels, which can cause acne.
• Dairy: Milk from cows contains many growth hormones and nutrients, which can cause acne. It also boosts the production of insulin in the body that can cause pimples to appear.
• Sugar: A diet with a high sugar intake with a high glycemic index scores high on the list of acne causing foods. Sugar, whether in its simplest form or as sugary treats such as chocolate, can trigger acne. One must avoid sugar as much as possible to get acne–free skin.
• Gluten: It causes digestive problems and inflammation that cause acne. Some of the biggest causes of inflammation that manifests as acne on the skin are wheat, pasta, bread, cereal, and flour.
• Salt: Salt can cause swelling in the tissues, giving one a puffy face. One should avoid iodized salt in high doses because it causes acne. When buying pre–packaged foods, one needs to check the sodium content.
Other foods that can worsen or cause acne include vegetable oils, candy, spicy food, caffeine, and processed foods. This is not to say that one should totally avoid these foods. The trick is to take them moderately to avoid acne. Those who already suffer from acne should cut back on these foods to get healthy skin.
Follow Us For More Great Articles on Illness, Medicine, and More.